STEAM Challenge 21 – #FluxSTEAM21
All About Plants
What could you invent, innovate, create relating to plants?
Why Plants? Without plants we wouldn’t have oxygen. Plants form the critical base of food chains in nearly all ecosystems. Through photosynthesis, plants harvest the energy of the sun, providing both food and habitat for other organisms. What other ways do we use plants?
Watch the video and explore this page and think about what you could create, innovate or invent related to plants. A new way to grow? Harvest? A new use? Repurpose plant waste? Be Creative!
YOU WILL EXPLORE:
- Plant Science
YOU WILL CREATE:
- An Invention or Innovation related to plants.
- A short video or images (Max. 2:00 minutes) that explains what you made.
What could you invent, innovate or create related to plants? Could it be a new way of farming? A new way to use plants? Repurpose plant waste?
Prototype - Build It
Build your creation! Remember – It’s ok if it is not a working prototype, the prototype(s) allow you to share your concept and better tell your story. Get creative!
To be eligible for the prizes listed below you need to share your idea. Take pictures or film a short (Max 2:00 min video) showing off your creation Use #FluxSTEAM and tag @Fluxspace.io (Flux. on Facebook) Also tag Sharpen.design and use #MadeWithSharpen
Check out this example of an invention related to plants!
(If you haven’t already, check it out in the video above.)
Flex Farms are indoor vertical growing systems that take advantage of nature’s design by carefully controlling everything plants need to thrive and optimizing growth while minimizing inputs required. They’re portable and only require a standard electrical outlet and less than 10 square feet of space.
The Importance of Plants
- Life as we know it would not be possible without plants. Why are plants so important?
- Plants supply food to nearly all land organisms, including people. We mainly eat either plants or other living things that eat plants.
- Plants produce oxygen. Oxygen is needed by almost all the Earth’s organisms.
- Plants absorb carbon dioxide from the air. This helps control the greenhouse effect and global warming.
- Plants recycle matter in ecosystems. For example, they are an important part of the water cycle. They take up liquid water from the soil through their roots. They release water vapor to the air from their leaves.
- Plants provide many products for human use. They include timber, medicines, dyes, oils, and rubber.
- Plants provide homes for many other living things. For example, a single tree may provide food and shelter to many species of animals.
See more at – https://www.ck12.org/book/ck-12-fifth-grade-science/section/3.1/
HOW TO ENTER
- Share a video or picture of your creation.
- Post the video on social media (Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.) Tag Flux.
- Twitter @Fluxspace.io
- Instagram @Fluxspace_io
- Facebook (search for page Flux.)
- Tag sharpen.design
- Include the correct hashtags #FluxSTEAM and #MadeWithSharpen
- See a great example of a posting from last season to the right.
PARENTS AND EDUCATORS
Need help coming up with an idea? Use the following Instructor Guide & Student Guide . Provided for FREE from Sharpen.design for the month of November. Click on the image to the right to download your free guides.
A big thanks to Sharpen.design for creating these resources. Interested in more? Check out other STEM lessons created by Sharpen.design – https://sharpen.design/stem/lesson-kits
For questions, comments or concerns please email Ryne@fluxspace.io
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES.