STEAM Challenge 05
Testing your building and engineering skills!
For this challenge, you will construct a tower made of craft and recyclable materials (paper, tape, toothpicks, popsicle sticks, etc.). See below – for Tallest Tower Prize you may not use building toys (Legos, K’NEX, etc.) You can still build with those but you will not be eligible for that prize using those.
Your tower should be able to at least support a tennis ball or object with a similar weight off of the ground. The tower should be free-standing, not supported by anything but itself.
YOU WILL CREATE:
- A Tower that can hold a tennis ball off of the ground
- A short video (Max. 2 minutes) explaining how you built the tower, materials used and showing the tennis ball or similar object off of the ground with proof of a measurement. See image below.
Research and Brainstorm
What features of a tower are important? Why and how does a tower stand on its own? What brings strength to a tower? Any specific shapes, features, that make it strong.
If trying to for the Tallest Tower supporting a tennis ball, only craft materials can be used, no building toys. Measure from bottom of tennis ball to the ground.
Build Your Tower
The Goal: To support/hold a tennis ball or similar object in weight off of the ground as high as possible.
- Has to be free-standing, standing on its own.
- Try to use craft materials such as
- Rolled up paper/newspaper, recyclable materials, tape, popsicle sticks, toothpicks, etc.
- To be eligible for “Tallest Tower” do not use building toys such as Legos, K’NEX, etc. or lumber (scarp wood, 2x4s, etc.) Towers can be built with these but will not be eligible for the “Tallest Tennis Ball Tower” prize.
To be eligible for the prizes listed below you need to share your tower Film a short (Max 2 min video) Include details like what materials did you use, what problems/issues did you have and how did you resolve or overcome them? Measurement of Tower, for Tallest Tower – measure the surface the tower is on to the bottom of the tennis ball (or similar object) Have fun!
Upload/share your video to Twitter, Facebook or Instagram using #FluxSTEAM5 and #MadeWithSharpen tag @Fluxspace.io (Flux. on Facebook) and tag @Sharpen.design. On Facebook set your post to public.
To be eligible for prizes – Post on social media tagging Flux, Sharpen.design and use the hashtags #FluxSteam5 #MadeWithSharpen
SHARE YOUR WORK!
Tag @Fluxspace.io to show us what you made!
For questions, comments or concerns please email Ryne@fluxspace.io
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES.