Invent a Way to Clean Up Oceans
For this challenge, you will build a prototype.
Marine or ocean pollution is pollution in the sea. It is a form of water pollution. Most ocean pollution comes from land. Fertilizer from lawns and farms, motor oil, and sewage are washed into local streams and rivers, where they may eventually flow into the ocean. Plastics and trash also end up in the ocean in similar ways. Approximately 80% of ocean pollution starts from land!
YOU WILL EXPLORE:
- Ocean Pollution
YOU WILL CREATE:
- An Invention to Clean Up the Ocean – Prototype
- A short video or images (Max. 1:30 minutes) that explains what you made.
OCEAN POLLUTION FACTS:
- More plastic than fish! 8 million metric tons of plastic gets dumped into the ocean each year.
- There’s so much junk at sea, the debris has formed giant garbage patches. There are five of them around the world, and the largest — the Great Pacific Garbage Patch — includes an estimated 1.8 trillion pieces of trash and covers an area twice the size of Texas.
- 70 percent of ocean garbage sinks to the seafloor.
- Plastic and trash isn’t the only type of pollution – overuse of fertilizers that end up in the ocean create hazardous conditions for wildlife.
Understanding The Problem
Scientists think that 8.8 million tons of plastic winds up in the ocean every year—that’s as if you stacked up five plastic grocery bags full of trash on top of each other on every foot of coastline in the world.Over 700 species of marine animals have been reported to have eaten or been entangled in plastic. Scientists think that the amount of plastic in the ocean might triple by 2050—and that would mean seriously bad news for the ocean and the creatures that live there.
Full Article – https://kids.nationalgeographic.com/explore/nature/kids-vs-plastic/pollution/
HOW TO ENTER
- Share a video or picture fo your polyhedra (Max 01:30)
- Post the video on social media (Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.) Tag Flux.
- Twitter @Fluxspace.io
- Instagram @Fluxspace_io
- Facebook (search for page Flux.)
- Tag sharpen.design
- Include the correct hashtags #Flux2STEAM4 and #MadeWithSharpen
- See a great example from last season to the right.
Prototype - Build It
Build your invention! In most cases you will have to create a prototype – a smaller version of your invention that helps you test, share, explain your invention. Remember – It’s ok if it is not a working prototype.
To be eligible for the prizes listed below you need to share your idea. Take pictures or film a short (Max 1:30 min video) showing off your polyhedra and what you used to make it. Use #Flux2STEAM4and tag @Fluxspace.io (Flux. on Facebook) Also tag Sharpen.design and use #MadeWithSharpen
For questions, comments or concerns please email Ryne@fluxspace.io
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES.